A Citizen’s Blog
Purple Ground is based on the idea that red and blue Americans who love their country can find common ground on principles.
- We love America
- We know that Freedom is not free and we honor our troops
- We do take responsibility for our own lives
- We honestly care about those in need and do not want to abandon those who cannot help themselves
- We agree that Americans have a personal responsibility to help others and “be our brother’s keeper”
- We believe that people are better served by a hand up than a hand out (teach a man to fish…)
- We believe that we must be vigilent in defending America and our freedoms against those who would do us harm
- We believe in personal liberty, over our body, our mind, the fruits of our labor, our property, family and parenting, and our speech
- We believe that all America’s laws apply to all its citizens equally and the law is blind to race, class, connections, and political status.
- We believe that our government serves the citizens, not the other way around
- We believe that Americans are generally good, hard-working, generous people
- We believe that war should always be the second to last choice, only before putting our lives or our country in grave danger
- We believe that we have a personal and corporate responsibility not to trash our planet
- In God we trust
These principles are not Democrat or Republican. They are American. We disagree on the details, and there are differences in how we substantiate these ideals. First, we need to remember that most of us agree on so many values, we just need to start having straightforward discussions on the embodiment of them. Our Founders themselves disagreed amongst themselves, often passionately, sometimes vehemently. But they worked it out for the greater good of the country. They put their personal egos aside, had an honest debate, and reached consensus.
There are plenty of bloggers out there lambasting the other side. The more time you spend on the internet the more you see there is way to much vile nastiness out there, on both sides. This forum will attempt to engage in debate, not diatribe. This forum will assume that you and I are not Nazis, racists, communists, Marxists, stupid, brainwashed, or un-American.
I will invite others I know, just regular people like you and I who don’t blog for living, to share their thoughts as well: a citizen’s blog. I will not just choose people who agree with me on issues.
I love feedback and I encourage comments. Before you submit a comment, ask yourself, are you speaking the way you would to a friend that disagrees with you? I will moderate comments in a way that treats us all as friends.
The partisanship today threatens to divide and conquer us. I believe that is not who Americans are. We can be better. Sincere people can agree on core American values and discuss and even disagree on how to live those principles. Let’s reaffirm those ideals that we all agree upon and start from there.
I am leaving a space for comments on this page. If you think there is anything on the above list that is not common or “purple ground” with you, let me know why. I am sure there are things that I am missing too, and I welcome suggestions. The list can grow.